Hot tub repair, Second post..

Back on August 28, 2013 I posted the first installment of the rebuilding of our hot tub. That blog can be found here. The original blog detailed the destruction of the wooden housing for the hot tub by our cat and termites. This past weekend, some six weeks later, I am almost done rebuilding the hot tub enclosure. We (DW and I) spent three of those weekends in Scranton. The other three weekends were spent mostly avoiding the inevitable construction. As I wrote six weeks ago, my carpentry skills are not the best. I should have taken a shop class or two in high school. Most of my carpentry experience was gained as a teenage working for a construction company in the summer time.  Most of that work was dig this and move that.

Back in August I removed all the old wood. Over the last six weeks I rebuilt the frame that the exterior hangs on. All of the wood that I used is pressure treated to resist the  insects. After the enclosure was framed we got 1.5 inch think Styrofoam boards which were cut down and fitted into the wood frame.  After the insulation was done, we (DW and I) attached 5/8 x 6 pressure treated decking to the wood frame. Can you say over built? I think so. DS3 says that anything worth building is worth over-building.  In the pictures below you will see four of the final sheathing boards attached to the wood frame with the Styrofoam insulation showing.

I left the once corner un-insulated since there never was any insulation there to start with. The air that gets drawn into the hot tub enters from that corner and sealing it up tight could lead to problems. And, if and when things break, this is the area that needs to be accessible for repairs. I still have two more boards to attach to be finished. Then we are going to power wash the deck and stain the deck, the hot tub and the hot tub stairs all the same color. Hopefully this occurs before it is too cold to stain wood outside.

Enjoy the pictures, and thanks for reading!

Namaste

Rebuilding the hot tub, part 1..

I imagine that this will be a three-part blog. In this first blog we will talk about the history and partial demolition of the hot tub. I think in the second part we see the midway point of the rebuild and the final blog will include the stories about the rebuilding.  Bored yet?

I would have to guess that the third part will probably be the most interesting. Why? Well given my limited carpentry skills, I seem to belong in the measure it three times and cut if four-time club.  There should be some intersting moments of hindsight.  At least I am honest in my appraisal of my abilities.

The hot tub was purchased back in 1999 (I think). We have gotten quite a bit of use out of it. We have replaced the electronics twice due to lightning strikes in the neighborhood.The first time I paid someone to replace the electronics, the second time I did it myself. BTW, it was not any harder than building a computer.

The cat used to use the sides of the hot tub to stretch and scratch. This did quite a bit of damage to the wood. Over the years the termites also found a meal or three chewing on the hot tub wood. The hot tub itself has spray foam all around it and can stand and survive the winter without the wood outside. The wood provides no structural support. That is good since I had to remove about 95 % of the wood due to termite and other insect or animal damage.

At this point the bad wood has been removed and the hot tub is waiting for me to spend a few hours working my carpentry magic.

Here are a few pictures of the hot tub without the wood sides.

Namaste