You smell like Barnegat Bay…

Well, not my best opening line. But this one was accurate. The best part, I’m not sleeping on the couch tonight! Today went sailing on Barnegat Bay. Back in May we bought a Groupon that gave us a three-hour sail on a sail boat. The deal was about 50 % off the retail cost. We had sailed with Captain Dave and Jersey Coastal Adventures last year.  We had fun last year and figured, what the heck, and booked another three-hour tour this year.

Our first try to go sailing was this past Wednesday. The weather did not cooperate. It was foggy for most of the day. This morning the skies were clear and the temperatures were forecast to be in the upper 70’s. Not bad for October. There was no breeze when we left our house and drove the 20 minutes to the marina. At the marina, there was a slight breeze. When the boat got down the river to the bay, the wind was blowing 10 to 20 out of the south – south-east. Funny how that happens. We live 7 miles from the ocean.

The first part of the sail was downwind. The captain only had the jib unfurled. The jib is the sail in the front. The mainsail never went up. The wind and the jib were quite enough. I shot this video on the downwind section.  Once we got as far north as we were going, we had to tack against the wind for the next two hours to get back to the river so we could head to the marina.

The only real problem was that I had my new camera with me on the boat. My DW and decided to sit up on the bow to enjoy the sail and have some romantic time. This was all good on the downwind section. Once we started tacking, the waves left the bay and “visited” us on the bow. I was able to protect my camera wrapping it in my shirt and moving my cell phone to my chest. I sat with my back to the wind and waves and hung on. There were times when it seemed that the boat was on a 45 degree tilt.  The lower edge of the deck was almost in the water quite a few times.

I did not shoot many pictures while we were tacking. Each time we got to the top of the tack, the captain would warn us, then switch the direction that the boat was heading in. Back and forth, like a zig zag. The east tack was fairly dry, the west tack was wet.  We got good at ducking when we changed directions and then switching the way we were facing to have the wind (and waves) at our backs.

Ordeal? Not hardly. I worked on a commercial fishing boat for a year when I was younger. I was wetter and colder with no hope for a reprieve. Today was just fun!  We will do it again. On the way in the captain came forward to talk to us. He asked how we were doing, Ummm, wet? Yes we had fun. He took two pictures with my cell phone of us up on the bow. Then he took a picture with his small personal camera. After we docked he came out of the cabin with a print of the picture that he had just taken on the way it.  It was in a paper frame. That was pretty cool.  DS1 saw the picture when he came home from work and told my DW “You two look like you enjoy being together, not just faking it”  Hmmm, that is quite the correct observation.

After we got back to the dock and were safely back in out car, I looked at my DW and said “You smell like Barnegat Bay” I think I did as well…

Tonight’s pictures come from today’s sail. Enjoy!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: