Day 299, out and about in Charlottesville, VA..

The first job Saturday morning was to unlock all the doors. It was our first night in a strange place (not strange, just not home) so I had closed and locked every possible door while we slept.  It was going to be a nice sunny morning after the sun got higher in the sky. The resident rooster(s) were a little early announcing the new day. Fortunately, I just rolled over and my DW did not hear them. They continued to chime in off and on during the morning until about 10:30 am when we left the farm.

Breakfast was eggs and pork roll which we brought down with us. Coffee from New Orleans and a nice peaceful morning sitting on the front porch drinking my coffee.  We watched the horses goof off with each other. It was easy to pick out the trouble maker of the group. He was the one nipping the others and being a pest. The goat was off across the pasture doing its own thing.  After breakfast my DW had just come out of the shower when she starts laughing really loud. I went into the bedroom to see what was going on. She said “We have a peeping Tom”  I thought, oh, ok. Funny? She said “Look out the window”. I moved the curtain aside and there was one of the horses, head over the fence intently staring into the bedroom. Ok, funny.

We left the farm and headed into Charlotteville. It was about a 25 minute ride. We drove on the county two-lane instead of the interstate. I figured there might be more to see and we were not in any hurry. We parked near the pedestrian mall in the historic district. We walked the mall, window shopping. We stopped in a pawn shop to look at guitars for DS2. We found a resonator guitar for sale, but it was the square neck not the round neck model. The difference? The square neck model you lay flat on your lap and play like a pedal steel guitar. The round neck model you play like a regular guitar.  We also walked up to the weekly farmers market. It was fun to look at all the things for sale. We really could not buy anything perishable since we were not sure when we would get back to the farm.

We had lunch at a funky cafe that had outdoor seating on the mall. The food was good. The salad was the most unusual salad I have ever eaten. I eat some of it one piece at a time to try to identify the different flavors . We both had a rock shrimp and lobster salad sandwiches. Mine with bread, her’s in a bowl with some lettuce.  After lunch we drove around Charlottesville for a bit trying to get a feel for where things are. On Friday we just went to the game and left. On Saturday we drove around the campus of UVA. The city seems a to be very vibrant college town.

The next event on our list was a wine tasting festival of Virginia wineries. The festival was in Ruckersville which is about 30 minutes north and west of the city. The wine tasting was in the middle of a farmer’s field. Someone had done a fair job cutting down the weeds so that you could park and walk around. They had maybe 10 different wineries giving out samples. We paid 20 dollars each to get in. For this we got a sampling glass and we allowed to visit each tent as much as you wanted to. The samples were about one ounce.  We tried quite a few of the different wines but we did not find any that we would spend money to bring home. They did have a food truck selling Louisiana food. We had an order of beignets. They were the highlight of the festival.  The temperature at this point was in the low 80’s.

We got back in the car and turned on the air and headed south and west to an oyster festival at a brewery/brew pub.  The two festivals were about an hours plus apart. By the time we got down to the oyster festival the sky had turned grey and you could see the rain on the mountains in the not to far distance. We parked the car and walked over to the entrance carrying our umbrella. The festival cost 15 dollars each to get in. While we stood there debating the cost/benefit of entrance, the rain started. We used a porta-a-potty and headed back to the car. No sense in paying to go into an outdoor festival in the rain.

That takes us to about 4:00 pm Saturday. The next installment will hopefully wrap up Saturday.  The picture below is of DS2 and a friend after his choral concert on Saturday. The university had a casino night so he went in his concert tuxedo. Enjoy!


DS2 casino night

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: