Day 227, Passing the torch..

Today is Saturday, February 11, 2012.  I spent part of the day today with my DW and her mom.  A few days ago the mother of one of my DW’s best friends from grammar school died. She had been fighting cancer and lost. When they found she had a problem she was already Stage 4, so there really was not much hope.  My DW’s mom and this women ran the girl scout troop that my DW attended at the local church.  All of the girlfriends were there today to pay their respects. I had not seen the family since the early 1980’s when we moved down the shore. The service was moving. It make you wonder what people will say when you are gone. Wouldn’t it be neat to get a chance to peek in on your service after you die?  Maybe not..

After the service I left the church to go visit my brother the weather man. He lives about five minutes from where we were. I figured that my DW and her mom would want to visit with all these people that they had grown up with. I was looking forward to seeing my brother and possibly throwing the lacrosse ball around at the local park. When I got to his they were just returning home from the YMCA where they have a Saturday parents/kids program. This week they made ice cream. The youngest had it all over his face. I was reacquainted with the chaos of small children. They were good, just pretty wound up.

My brother, his oldest and I went to the park with out lacrosse gear. We threw the ball around for about an hour. His son had a small, lighter version of a lacrosse ball that he played with. My brother and I threw the ball with purpose, his son just wanted to have fun. And we did have fun. The first two times I threw the miniature ball at his son, the ball sailed right past his head. They were good throws, just his son made no effort to catch the ball. At that point I decided to slow the ball down and change the trajectory before I hurt him. The next throw I bounced the ball in front of him and it bounced off his forehead. Yikes! He was ok, no crying.

After the ladies were done visiting I drove us home. We stopped at Sally’s Seafood in Waretown for fluke fillet and steamers. They were for dinner. The steamers were steamed in beer and seasonings. The fluke was coated in seasoned flour then an egg wash and fried in olive oil. We covered the finished fish with a Hollandaise Sauce. Yum! And just to round out the meal we had a salad and a Chardonnay.

It snowed a little this morning. The snow only stuck to the car and the lawn. It was gone by the middle of the afternoon.

There are no pictures tonight since Whitney Houston died and the internet is a shambles. I tried for 30 minutes to upload my pictures. I will save them for tomorrow.



1 Comment (+add yours?)

  1. Christina
    Feb 12, 2012 @ 00:36:11

    Thank you for posting.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: