Driving that train, high on 57 (the Heinz post)..

Well today was a crazy day personally and on the east coast of the United States. Unless you live under a rock, you know that there was an earthquake centered in Virgina and felt up and down the eastern seaboard. I was driving at the time and the only clue that something was wrong was that the Sirius satellite radio had a full strength signal but there was no programming. I guess the earthquake knocked Sirius off the air for a few minutes.

On a personal note, I wrote yesterday about DS2 needing to see a retina specialist about “something” in is right eye. The appointment was this morning. Both parents and DS2 went to the doctor in Toms River. He found a retinal tear in the right eye that needs immediate surgery and a slight tear in the left eye that will need surgery. Then the fight with the insurance company started. The doctor accepts our insurance, we cleared the visit with them first. The hospital where the doctor practices (hopeful to get it perfect one day)  is not in the system with our insurance.

Bottom line, we can’t use this doctor.  So the doctor’s staff helped us find a doctor that takes our insurance and practices in a hospital that takes our insurance. The next stop is Red Bank. We drove up the GSP through the earthquake, oblivious to it happening. When we got to the second doctor’s office there was quite the commotion about earthquakes and evacuating buildings. Once we got past that silliness we saw the second doctor of the day. On his desk was manual written by him for other doctors while he was working at Wills Eye in Philadelphia. That’s about as close to the top in eye doctor facilities in the United States, if not the world.

Doctor, doctor, doctor number two looks and assesses and decides that both eyes need to be done. The problem DS2 suffers from happens mostly to near-sighted people. A small percentage of the near-sighted population get something called lattice My DW has this. Usually they look and say, see you in a year. As long as the problem is stable, nothing needs to be done. In a fraction of the people with this condition the retina starts to pull away and if left untreated, the retina can completely become detached and you lose your vision.

There is no timetable for the tearing. It could sit for years, it could accelerate. So treating quickly after discovery seems to be the prudent course of action. The doctor discussed having the two surgery’s a few days apart starting next week. While we were with the scheduling lady, the doctor asks when DS2 ate last. Upon hearing it was more than 8 hours previously, he suggested surgery tonight, six pm. Wow, that went from next week and having a chance to digest it to bamm, do it now.

The doctor said this surgery was not an emergency. You could have fooled me. So we went across the street to the hospital and went through the paperwork and such. They took him in around 6:15 and we got him back around 9:45. Some of that time was before doing the anesthesia and afterwards recovering from the anesthesia. He was in good spirits pre-op, I guess seeing this as an adventure. Post operation, he was more subdued. We are having him sleeping upstairs tonight so we can be close by. We have to be back in Red Bank for 7:30 am tomorrow.

What all this means to his sophomore fall semester, nobody knows. The surgery could not be postponed without takeing an unacceptable risk with his vision. We will discuss the future a little more forcefullywith the doctor tomorrow. Then I will get on the phone with the university and see what they think about him missing four to six weeks of this semester. Can he catch up? Will they work with him to catch up?  Should we punt and skip the fall?  I really don’t know at this point.

I’m beat and I have to get up in five hours to go back north to the doctor’s office. Tonight’s picture is pre-op.